What You’ll Receive
Students dive into the extreme sports worlds of cycling and sailing to practice informative writing skills. Hey, if you’re going to write, it might as well be about something crazy interesting right? Students are assigned to write a blog for either a sailing website or cycling website. Along the way, they discover fascinating facts, details, and lifestyles associated with these sports.
- Bellringer – To get this lesson started, students take a look at two photos and write descriptive words for each.
- PowerPoint Presentation – For the length of this project, students work as a writer for a website. The assignment is to write a blog informing young athletes about the basics of getting into the sport. Is it right for them? Writers must include details, sports lingo, quotes, photos, headlines and more to create an intriguing presentation.
- Videos – Two videos are included. The first profiles a young cycling racer who gives students a glimpse inside his reality where speed, endurance, and courage are a must. Next, a young sailor shows students the ropes onboard her vessel. It’s a sport that looks peaceful, but man versus wind and water can challenge the mind and body. Are you up for it? Each video is just under four minutes in length. Students view both videos and choose a sport.
- Worksheet – This handout lays out all of the requirements for this assignment. It also includes a transcript of the videos in case the student would like to select quotes.
- Transcription of sailing video
- Transcription of cycling video